Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is an autoimmune disease of the central nervous system in which parts of the insulation to nerve fibers (myelin) is gradually destroyed, affecting the function of the nerves involved. The brain and spinal cord are also systematically involved. Some common symtomology includes:
- Blurred vision
- Loss of movement, stiffness and pain
- Memory problems
- Trouble w/ bowel, bladder, and sexual functions
It is important to work with one’s MD as each case is different and requires a solid patient/ doctor relationship and the opportunity to utilize the up to date treatments in treatment modalities. Complementary therapies are an important adjunct to treatment in lessening physical discomfort through utilizing safe and therapeutic relaxing oils with sedating, immune simulating properties. After careful research regarding essential oils related to muscular sclerosis, I can safely suggest the following oils:
- Mandarin – Sedating yet immune stimulating. We select sedating as the body is under immune stimulating stress due to MS compromise and we do not want to use an active immune stimulating oil such as rosemary but rather a sedating oil.
- Sweet Marjoram – It is relaxing and sedating and has an effect on muscular and arthritic pain as well as being a neurotonic.
- Myrrh – has sedating and immune stimulating action and acts as an excellent balancer to any blend.
- Roman Chamomile – calming, relaxing, and sedative properties (also high in esters) known for its anti-inflammatory and skin soothing properties.
- Evening Primrose for relaxation and skin vitality
- Calendula for anti-inflammatory and skin strengthening properties.
- Jojoba – Highly nutritive and closes to human sebum consistency making it gentle yet penetrable.
- Witch Hazel (Hammamelids virginiana) anti-inflammatory and cooling properties particularly suitable for treating skin fragility associated with topical steroid treatment. Comforting for tingling sensations in hands and legs.
- 2,000 mls of evening primrose and vitamin E Supplement labeled d-alpha tocopherol)
- B12, and Vitamin D or cod liver oil
- Green Tea ( anti-oxidant and reduces clotting tendency of blood in a non-threatening modality. MS patents often have a tendency to have “sticky platelets”)
- Grape Seed Extract – protects brain and spinal nerves against free-radical damage and moderates inflammatory process.
An individual consultation, with client input regarding medical, emotional, and spiritual impact of MS compromise along with the opportunity for the client to choose the oils which particularly resonate assists with the final blend. It is always prepared with the most gentle mode of delivery in mind. We are not looking for instant relief but a complementary treatment which is natural, anti-inflammatory, and nurturing. The natural oils will assist with healing in a consistent, non-invasive way and bring a sense of nurturing ritual to the client’s daily life.